Sunday, June 30, 2013

Olympic Day and Windham ProXCT


This weekend was quite the exciting one.  It kicked off with a trip to one of my favorite venues in Windham, NY which was host to World Cup rounds the past couple of years.  This year it was a stop on our national ProXCT tour, and next year Windham scored the World Cup again. Yes! We raced on the same course which is absolutely east coast. It's rooty and very rocky.  The course is built more in the style of cross country courses in the past with one long climb and descent except that Windham is punctuated with technical single track sections.  It's broken up so it doesn't seem like one big long slog up the ski area, and this course has fantastic flow.  It's definitely challenging.

I lined up with a competitive field, and I was highly anticipating testing the legs after a small training block and build up to the important racing block coming up.  I nabbed the hole shot and put in some big efforts on the first couple of laps to establish a gap.  Each lap was getting more and more fun because I was dialing in the lines on the downhill.  The legs felt great and my whole family was there to cheer me on.  My aunt, cousin, and ninety-two year old grandmother even made it to show the support.  It's great to have a race in your backyard, and it's even better to win races!  It's never easy to win and it always feels good to cross that line.  I actually got to do a real two handed victory salute this time as well.
It was Olympic Day at Little Bellas!

Jojo and I rallied back to Vermont after the race so we could be here for our Little Bellas Sunday session.  Olympic Day at Little Bellas capped off a great weekend.  For our first Sunday session in three weeks, it didn't rain or thunderstorm so we could actually hold the Little Bellas (thank you thank you thank you). We rode the single track at Catamount that wasn't under water, we had a mud competition, and we talked Olympics.  I handed out the special Olympic trading cards that the USOC sent out and the girls immediately started trading them.  I absolutely love that they all wanted the female Olympians and the mentors traded out all of their female cards.  The Little Bellas also received Olympic Day temporary tattoos, and my favorite response was, "We are too young to get tattoos."  The day's most important conversation was one about the meaning of sportsmanship.  Some of our Little Bellas have a good grasp on the meaning of this pivotal concept in the Olympic Movement.  I stated that it was important to cheer each other on when we were out on the trails challenging ourselves. One little bellas said sportsmanship was acting with integrity.  I was impressed.  One bella said that it didn't matter if you win or lose if you enjoy playing the game.   This is a great reminder going into this next intense racing and training block.

Enjoy riding your bike.  This is the most important thing.

Have fun out there!
Lea


 I got the chance to visit our Little Bellas Catamount Camp right after I returned from Europe.  My sister handing out awards at the end of the session. 
 Look at this future Little Bellas.  Part of a whole Little Bella family. 
 Photos with the girls from camp.  Thanks for my new favorite shirt Amory! 

 Here are the honorable mentions from our mud competition today
 Vermont has been flooding but I've been able to dodge the storms to get in some good training
I love Vermont dirt roads

0 comments: