Sunday, March 9, 2014

Rehab, range of motion, and a drum set


My life recently has been a full time focus on rehabbing my hip to get better as soon as possible and as strong as possible.  Things have been progressing quite nicely and really everything has been focused around my hip joint.  I drive to physical therapy three times a week, and I go to the pool three times a week to work on my range of motion and strength.  I drive down to Rutland once a week to check in with my strength coach, get my technique dialed in, and learn new moves.  I'm riding on the trainer everyday (a bit brutal) and very gradually clicking down to smaller gears. I work on mobility every day.  I focus on 'gait training' (aka…walking well) every other day.  I strength train every day.  My hip is iced, moved, massaged, strengthened, mobilized, bounced, and strengthened some more.  There is so much work going into this joint, and I really have the best support team available. Not to mention that it feels like I have many Little Bellas cheering me on and fueling the healing with chocolate.  I feel really lucky.    
 A Little Bella gave me the last two pieces from her favorite euro chocolate stash to help my hip heal.  Now that is love. 
Jojo tries out the new drum set

There have been a couple of things that have broken up the rehab routine.  Last week was a particularly exciting one because I fulfilled a dream since I've had since I was a little kid.  I've always always wanted a drum set for as along as I can remember.  My parents got me a drum pad and a set of drum sticks when I was little, but that really didn't quench my thirst.  So, last week, jojo and I sauntered into the guitar center and there was a full and complete drum set on sale.  My jaw dropped, and a seed was planted.  I went back mid week for open office drumming hours and I had a short lesson and pulled the trigger.  I finally got the drum set I've always wanted, much to the chagrin of our neighbors (sorry!).  I'm fired up.  I've been playing, and I plan to take some more lessons when I return from a week in California.  

Last week, the Little Bellas also got a proverbial drum set we've always wanted.  We had our first board of directors meeting, and it went incredibly well.  We are blessed with a board filled with talent, energy, and lots of experience.  Everyone has complimentary skill sets and brings different perspectives to the table.  It was completely exhilarating, and my head is still spinning from the meeting.  My Little Bellas motivation has hit an all time high and I really feel confident that we are moving in the right directions.  

Jojo and I have had to really get creative with ways to get outside.  It turns out hip surgery six weeks ago can be limiting.  But, jojo is creative, and she rigged up a sled to a waist belt.  We went to our local park, and she pulled me around for an hour.  It was awesome.  She got a great resistance workout, and I felt like I was riding single track.  I was constantly telling her to go faster.  We also walked out on Lake Champlain today for a quick stroll.  Tomorrow, I am on a plane to California to attend the USA Cycling Women's Mountain Bike Skills Camp.  I won't be riding my mountain bike, but I'll be able to spin on my road bike outside a bit.  It's going to be amazing to pedal and be able to go somewhere.  There's also some great presentations lined up ,and it will be awesome to hang out with all of the best female mountain bikers in the country.  I'm also looking forward to some sunshine.  Until next time…

May everyone get their drum set they've always wanted.  Do it.  Life is too short not to.  

I see a heart on our ice walk adventure
 Jojo sled intervals






0 comments: